U.S. Constitution

U.S. Constitution
The voice of the people

24 May 2021

On Blogitis

Being human, among other things, means we're prone to periodic crises. I confess to a recurring crisis regarding this blog. It's best expressed as "Why the hell do I bother?"

I reach very few people, and I'm grateful for every one of them and for the feedback they provide. But like everyone who writes, plays music, or has a message of any kind, I wish for a larger audience. 

When I was teaching I frequently asked myself why I was disseminating good information that was apparently lost on the majority of my students. The answer I kept coming back to was the biblical parable of throwing seed onto different kinds of soil: some, even if just a small fraction, is likely to flourish.

So it is with this blog. I haven't the time or the resources to make it more than it is, but what I can do is to make it the best it can be. As to why I do it, the answer is I have to. 

I can no more remain silent in the face of social injustice, dirty politics, and public indifference than a rooster can remain silent at dawn. I'm driven to speak because it's the duty of all of us to call out dishonesty and corruption in public offices. We must do this because, to paraphrase: The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good people to remain silent.

And, paraphrasing two poets: I do my best, I know it's not much, . . . I tell the truth [and] I sound my yawp across the internet, hoping for a few syllables to land in ears that will hear.

"I'm back."


--- Diogenes, 24 May 2021

  

No comments:

Post a Comment